Saturday, August 29, 2009
La Cienega Ward Reunion
Last week we had our semi-annual La Cienega Ward reunion. This is the family ward I grew up in as a child in Los Angeles, CA. I absolutely loved my childhood and growing up in a loving ward that was no doubt part of our family. Growing up in the mission field can help one develop a uniquely independent testimony and this ward undoubtedly helped me with mine.
Several of my younger days were watching my dad from the church benches as he served as Bishop. It was fun to hear the thoughts and memories of several people had of him and mom as well. It was a great time to reflect about life and on those who had an influence on your life and the decisions made.
My sister, Kathy mentioned that a few of us sisters even still dream about the ward house. That may stem from the many days & nights at the church house for meetings, ward parties or just "waiting" around for the parents.
We were truly a ward family in every sense of the word and I loved every minute of my childhood because of them.
Renate & Andy Johnston (along with my sister Kathy) were in charge this year. They did a phenomenal job and I appreciate all the hours spent in behalf of the reunion! They joined the church when my dad was Bishop as well as a real estate agent. My dad was so smart... always getting two things done at the same time!
Darlene, Kiku & myself. I thought Kiku was the prettiest YW and so sweet & kind to everyone. I wanted to be just like her... I still do!
Diane & Gary Thompson. She worked with the YW and he was one of my dads counselors in the Bishopric. He had a lot of funny memories and said that he enjoyed the time he spent with dad and that my father had a sense of humor "second to none". Quite a compliment. Our family has always felt the same way, but living with him it didn't always seem to come at the right moment!
Astle. He & his family lived on our circle. They were very close friends to our family and had an influence on my life. Often we would run things to their home for our parents and they always had a treat for us!
Val & Julene Kendall. He was a counselor to my Dad and brought up when he & the other Bishopric members were in the ward road show and had capes & mysterious singing "We are the members of the Bishopric..."
Presley & CarolAnn & Lisa Chalfant. Pres was my older siblings age. Always a great, friendly, family guy. I remember he use to chase me & my friends down the halls of the church at ward dinners... he said I was the "church police" & would tell him to not chase in the church. Apparently, I've been telling people what to do for a long time!
Tom Hopkins. I knew him as Thomas most my life & he was younger than me so it seemed that we were in a sunday school class together every other year. Always talented in music, he and his family. His dad was usually the choir directly and did a fantastic job. Tom was also in a band in High School. My senior year they came and played at our home. It was so, so fun. We loved it. The neighbors didn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment